Med 3 certificates - Fitness-for-Work Certificates

  • You only need a fitness-for-work certificate if you are ill and are unable to work for more than seven calendar days or longer. 
  • You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less.

Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website

How to request a Med 3 Certificate?

  • Patient can request Med 3 Certificates in writing by sending an email to
  • Please ensure you provide a telephone number in case there is a query. 
  • Please allow 48 hours before collection
  • Requests can be back dated but not pre dated.
  • With effect from 28th March 2023, you can request a sick note via our Klinik system.  Simply visit our website and click on the “start here” banner.  We expect this to take you around 5-10 minutes, and you can do this from anywhere on your phone or any other electronic device.  You do not need a log in.

Extended Med 3

This can only be requested on the day it expires and the Med 3 can be collected 48 hours later.  If a Med 3 expires on a Sunday, please request the extension the following Monday.

Evidence that you are sick

Sickness CertificatesIf you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website