When We Are Closedtelephone_brown

Patients needing urgent medical assistance and who cannot wait until the surgery reopens should dial 111. The call is free from both landline and mobile phones.

The service operates after 18:30 in the evening to 08:00 in the morning and at weekends and bank holidays.

Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.

NHS 111 is a telephone advice line and signposting service for patients with urgent health problems, but which do not need a call to 999.  After assessment by a 111 health advisor, if you need immediate medical care they can arrange for you to talk to a clinical advisor, see a Doctor, or go to an appropriate alternative healthcare service.

Minor Injury Units 

There are two Minor Injury Units for minor injuries such as deep wounds, sprains and broken bones.

  • Yate Minor Injury Unit, Yate West Gate Centre, West Walk, Yate Shopping Centre, Yate BS37 4AX  Tel: 01454 315 355  
  • Southmead Minor Injury Unit, Southmead Hospital, Monks Park Road, Bristol, BS10 5NBY

Emergencies - 999

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. In life-threatening emergencies such as severe bleeding, collapse, unconsciousness and severe chest pain and / or shortness of breath, telephone 999 before calling the surgery.

Only go to A&E for a serous illness or injury

You should go to your local accident and emergency (A&E) department if you need emergency care for a serious injury, or illness.  Unless you need emergency medical attention, it is best not to go to your local A&E.  A&E doctors and nurses are equipped to deal with serious medical cases, not routine and minor ailments.

You may find this link useful re emergency care:


It may be worth you adding this link to your favourites for easy reference.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website